A supplement to our B3 Newsletter, read about God's work in Brazil, along with our added ramblings and life's adventures! If you'd like to receive our monthly Newsletter highlighting some of the more significant ministry here in Brazil, email us at dq.ka@juno.com or just leave a message on one of our posts! Thanks for visiting!

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Lulls?


One thing we've found to be true on this particular mission field is that ministry happens in spurts. Of course, the counterpart to the "spurt" is the "lull." Or at least that's what it feels like to me. Sometimes weeks can go by without what we would call a "significant" event. Look at the last post: "Itapiranga" happened a month ago. But my mind was 'messed with' today after I read the words that a friend of Dominique's (and short-term missionary to Africa) wrote on her blog, from a book called "Ministering Cross-culturally":

"We must consciously release our attachments to home, income security, convenience, significance in work or ministry, and even comfort of family."

The one that really got me there is "significance in work or ministry." Is that true? I don't want to give that up. I like feeling 'important' and 'necessary' and 'effective.' And I feel like I owe it to our supporters, too, to be doing 'significant' things for God. But then I consider the life of, say, the prophet Jeremiah . . . and I think the 'significance' statement above rings true. Jeremiah never saw anyone respond favorably to his message. If he had to write home to his supporters, they might cut him off because no visible fruit seemed to be coming from his ministry. I bet the missions agency that sent him would be doing some serious evaluation and likely questioning his call. In fact, his greatest harvest was the buckets of tears that likely fell from his eyes in lament because no one would listen to God's message. . . .enough that Jeremiah is even known as "the weeping prophet." And yet, he was no less called, no less qualified than we who are modern day missionaries, toiling away at the thing we've been called to. Someone has said "we are called to be FAITHFUL, not effective." Where I would disagree a little with that statement, I also see the merit in it. My ultimate significance need not come from the results of my labor, but from the One who has called me to love Him deeply. Oh the discontent of living for results! He tells me that there is significance even in the lulls. Even in the various conversations with Brazilian friends who stop by our house, in the English lessons we're giving to a couple of teens, in Dominique helping the girls straighten their hair, the more frequent family times to the park or 'movie night' we have because the planning load has lightened, or a game of Ultimate Frisbee with some Brazilian youth and our field director's family. In these times I sense God whispering to be grateful for these perceived 'lulls' because they are the stuff of restoration . . . and where I feel like it's 'dead-time', it's very much 'alive' to Him, and rife with His opportunity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on! Thank you for this encouragment. I get a listing of radio stations that have picked up my songs every week, and if that list is shorter from one week to the next I certainly don't want my faith to wan. What a shallow measure by which to judge the heart of God or His prophets.


Speaking for God isn't always poplular, but we need look no farther than to our God Himself. Jesus told us starkly that we will not be received better than He, and He, was crucified. So - we better live for Him and not so called "results"! I've said it before and I'll keep saying it till I live it whole-heartedly, without wavering...what happens after obedience is none of my concern. Father, now please help me let that be enough.